What is e-Commerce Strategy?
Successful e-commerce depends on four buildings blocks: digital marketing, IT, marketplaces and logistics.
E-commerce strategy outlines how to manage and excel in these building blocks according to resources and targets.
Read more about the four building blocks below:
1. Digital Marketing
Improving your website’s online revenues through e-commerce requires optimising the following elements :
- Traffic to your website – SEO, SEA/PPC, affiliation marketing, banner advertising, e-mail campaigns, social media etc.…
- Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO) – the process that uses analytics to identify which webpages need to be improved, finding out the cause of low conversation rate and testing a solution.
- Average Transaction Value – a process that can be improved by adding a cross-selling/upselling/product recommendation section or a product bundle area to the product page. The key is to make sure that any additional products offered are relevant to your customer.
Although the e-commerce platform is at the centre of your business ecosystem, it can’t work alone and needs the support of the following elements:
- A Product Information Management system to provide a platform for managing information that is used to market and sell your products on your website.
- A Warehouse Management System to help control and manage the day-to-day operations in a warehouse, to optimise picking and shipping of orders and advise on inventory replenishment.
- A payment services provider or payment gateway to manage payments on your website.
- An Enterprise Resource Planning software system (ERP) that connects to your e-commerce platform in order to manage your stock, prices, revenue etc.
Marketplaces are becoming more and more common in e-commerce strategy. If you want to sell on marketplaces then it doesn’t mean you can’t have a webstore, in fact the two can work together in a complementary way. Selling on marketplaces requires time and resources, just as it does to sell on a webstore.
Once the order has been processed by the different systems, it has to be sent to the customer and preferably as soon as possible. A well-organised warehouse managed by a WMS will help to achieve this goal.
My approach to e-Commerce Strategy
Assessment of e-commerce building blocks
Analysis of current trends
Identification of opportunities
Hire me as your e-commerce expert to:
- Increase revenue from your website and improve customer satisfaction
- Build an efficient e-commerce/digital team for your website
- Offer advice, formulate a strategy, be your e-commerce coach/consultant
I have 15 years’ experience of working in the digital world, with eight years specifically in e-commerce on the marketing and technical side, and have obtained a number of specialised degree qualifications. I am equipped to help you to make your e-commerce venture a success.
I am available on an hourly or daily basis.
I can help you to:
- Assess your current e-commerce operations
- Assess your position and that of your competitors
- Construct a roadmap that makes your business high-performing and futureproof
- Help you to follow the roadmap